Sunday, December 28, 2008

* * *

Self Awareness


I tensed as the glass doors slid aside with a whoosh and hint of a rattle. I stepped inside, hunching a bit in fear that my coat would set the alarm off again. It was a chilly Christmas eve, eve, and my winter coat – a gift from a niece the year before – had a tendency to set off the theft alarm at the local grocery. No place else, just there, where I was most likely to run into someone I knew.

Relieved by the lack of an alarm, I stepped to the left to grab a hand basket. I was there to pick up a few remaining items for the family Christmas Dinner, as apparently were a lot of other people who were rushing in and out displaying the determined, harried look of last-minute holiday shoppers.

About fifteen feet inside the entrance, the management had set up a table display of gift cards of all types. A pink-cheeked young grocery clerk was seated behind the display, grimly holding a fixed smile on his face as shoppers stepped around him without making eye contact. He’d obviously been there for hours, intentionally overlooked the entire time.

I focused in my heart, aligned with his, and stepped up to the table with a grin.

I breathed in light, and love, and bathed him in it as I asked him questions about his current situation - how long he’d been sitting there, how long was left, and what it felt like.

I breathed in light and love, and aligned him up with his higher self or soul as I moved my questions to his hopes and dreams.

It only took a couple minutes, but he was smiling when I was done.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” he asked.

“No,” I said, “it’s just that, if I had your job, I’d want to be recognized as a person once in a while.”

He smiled in gratitude, and I waved as I strode into the store.

Namaste,

Glen

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner